One of the most common questions that we often get asked is:
What’s the difference between a physio and a chiro/osteo/kinesiologist?
Well there are many subtle differences between the professions, but the question you should be getting the answer to is:
Why should I choose a Physio to help my problem?
There are many similarities between these professions which include;
- we all treat musculoskeletal pain conditions;
- we all have protected titles, meaning that a therapist cannot call themselves an a Chiropractor, an Osteopath or a Physiotherapist, unless they have completed the relevant accredited course;
- we all have university based education.
Put simply, the main difference is in the philosophy of each profession – what we believe in. However, there are also fundamental differences in the approach we take with people.
What Problems Does A Physiotherapist Treat?
Physiotherapists treat a variety of different injuries and different areas of pain to help their patients return to their best in terms of physical function.
Physiotherapists are trained to use the best research evidence, along with clinical experience and patient values, to come to their treatment decisions and give their patients the best possible outcome.
Physiotherapists can help to:
- decrease pain in an area
- restore normal joint range of movement
- improve function
- facilitate return to sport
- implement post-operative rehabilitation programmes
- complete Biomechanical Assessments
- prescribe exercises
- advise about your posture
- complete Ergonomic Assessments
What Can I Expect In A Physio Appointment?
Your first appointment will involve your Physiotherapist asking you some detailed questions about the problem, conducting a thorough assessment, providing treatment, and giving you a diagnosis and prognosis regarding the expected length of recovery time.
You will be given advice regarding how to manage your injury and possibly some exercises to do at home.
Follow up appointments will focus on reassessment of what was found at the initial appointment to ensure your problem is getting better, progressing your exercises, performing further manual therapy to improve function, and planning for gradual return to sport or your normal activities.
Ultimately, at Leading Edge our goal is to restore your body’s muscles, joints, nerves, and other tissues to normal so that you feel better and can get on with life!
So What IS The Difference With Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapists are trained to do many of the same things chiropractors can do, including manipulating the spine and releasing painfully tight muscles.
Physios have been trained to recognise a variety of conditions and injuries, and this knowledge helps them treat injuries or weaknesses that you might not have known existed.
Because chiropractors usually focus on spinal issues, they do not tend to look at the whole picture to find out if anything else is wrong. Unlike chiropractors, physiotherapists also put a strong emphasis on comprehensive therapeutic techniques that will make your body stronger and healthier.
In either case, whether it be physio, chiro or any other treating practitioner, if you are looking for a professional to assist with the treatment of a musculoskeletal problem then the most important aspects in selecting a treating practitioner remain the same:
- The therapist should listen to you and understand your concerns and problems.
- The therapist must understand why it is important to you that the problems are addressed and corrected.
- The therapist should use only treatments that have been proven to be effective.
- The therapist should have knowledge and experience of treating similar injuries and understand how to get the best results.
- The therapist should constantly involve the patient in the process and their recovery.
Ultimately, the decision of who you decide to seek treatment from depends on which profession’s treatment philosophy sits most comfortably with you.
At Leading Edge Physical Therapy our experienced Physiotherapists can assist you with whatever your physical problem may be and do it in a timely, professional, and friendly way.
We are confident that we can help you reach your best by getting rid of that terrible pain, that annoying stiffness, or that troubling weakness, so that you can get back to the sports field, back to picking up the kids, back to that bushwalk or just back to work!